How color affects architecture
Color has always been a variable present in the world of fashion, decoration, interior design, or any sector in which design has a presence.
Colors influence the perception of design and according to psychology, each color transmits different emotions to the person who visualizes it.
Faced with the aesthetic importance (usually linked to times, trends or tastes), there is a practical function linked to color in architecture, which we must take into account before carrying out a building or remodeling of any space, for example, cool or heat the interiors, depending on the greater or lesser degree of absorption of sunlight or give shape where there is none, separate, illuminate spaces … etc..
The type of color that we use in our architecture will affect the way we understand the building, as well as the way we feel it.
Study of color according to function
Color is studied from various points of view in interior design, depending on the nature of the project to be carried out, for example:
- In interiors for residential use, the tastes of the people who are going to live in that space are mainly taken into account, as well as, the use that is going to be made in each space of the house.
- In offices, on the other hand, although there is a tendency to corporatize spaces, personal tastes are not taken into account. Mainly we look for other purposes, for example: to increase the productivity and comfort of employees within the workspace and for this there are certain colors.
- In commercial premises, the most important thing is the product. The color studies are made to enhance its presence to capture the attention of potential customers and increase sales.
- In educational centers (schools, universities), the main purpose when choosing a color depends on whether we want to promote creativity, concentration, learning, etc.
- In the social-health sector, color is applied taking into account the diseases treated and their side effects on the mood of patients.
- In museums and art galleries, the tendency is to create calm spaces that favor the contemplation of the works on display.
What color provides us with in architecture:
Traditionally, color in architecture has gathered some social characteristics in terms of identification of the property or by taking advantage of the mineral of the area that determines a reference color.
The color interferes in the visual properties of the construction, in the geometry, in the dimensions, the visual weight of the object and can even suggest a different surface finish.
In López Landa we are specialists in the construction, conditioning, reform and rehabilitation of spaces, contact us!